DOGS CARE

6 Common things in homes that may be toxic to dogs

We love our puppies as we love our children. In fact, some days they are probably our favorite kids! But this does not mean that they can’t have problems.

Our furry friends love to get involved with everything from a box of crackers we left on the table, to last night’s pot roast, to our favourite shoes. We love them anyway, of course, even if they cause a riot from time to time, but there are a few common household items that we need to keep out of the reach of our furry babies. This is because some things can be poisonous to our beloved puppies.

For some items, common sense might tell us that we need to keep them out of reach.

Others are more surprising. We’ve searched our sources to find out how you can protect your dogs from potential toxins. Here’s what we found.

Here are six common household items that can be toxic to our pooches:

1. some common plants

Many plants are perfectly fine for pets to eat (not that it is desirable). Others can cause serious damage. If you are someone who has a lot of plants and flowers in your house, you definitely want to know what is not safe for your pooch to eat.
Some common plants in or around your home that can make dogs sick are daffodils, azaleas, mothers, tulips and peonies. Many of these flowers look beautiful on your tabletop, but if you have a dog that has a habit of climbing on things, be careful. Philodendron and aloe vera are two others that are known to be poisonous to dogs.

2. dishwasher and wash bowls

Our furry friends would love a new squishy toy. Dishwasher and washing capsules seem to be the perfect choice! But these items can be incredibly harmful to dogs! This is a little more obvious, but you should definitely make sure you keep these poisonous pods away from animals. In fact, this also applies to small children who also like to chew.

3. chocolate

Most people are aware that chocolate is harmful to dogs. But what people don’t know is that even a small piece of chocolate can be deadly. Methylxanthine contained in chocolate can cause vomiting and diarrhea, wheezing, excessive thirst and urination, hyperactivity, abnormal heart rhythm, tremors, seizures, and possibly death. So if you are a chocolate lover, be sure to hide your cookies and chocolate bars from your dog.

4. insecticides

Insecticides are extremely powerful poisons. After all, they are supposed to kill bugs. But they can also poison your dog. Especially when the warmer months come, you may be tempted to leave your insecticides in a place you have easy access to, but you don’t want your dog to get into sprays and other products that can cause harm. Put them away after each use.
If you need to use an insecticide in your home, take your dog for a long walk so that he does not go right into the area and lick it up. Open the windows so that the smell can dissipate. Also try to use the spray in places where your dog cannot reach, such as behind sofas or cupboards.

5. alcohol

Some people think it is fun to give their dog a beer every now and then. But it’s really not as safe as you might think. Your dog won’t get a happy buzz, and it might make her sick. In fact, difficulty breathing is a fairly common reaction for dogs who drink alcohol.

6. toothpaste

While it is completely safe for human consumption, a chemical contained in toothpaste can be lethal to dogs. They would definitely like to put their jaws around a tube of toothpaste, but this is a product that must be kept out of reach. Toothpaste contains xylitol, which can cause a sudden and significant drop in a dog’s blood sugar level. This can be incredibly scary! This can lead to liver damage and death.

Leave a Comment